In order to maximise your property tax claims and get the best results, make sure to:

  • Engage an experienced, qualified Quantity Surveyor and Registered Tax Agent (with broad building and construction knowledge) and have them ‘personally’ undertake your job ie. with no outsourcing or delegating to unqualified persons. I.e ensuring that the person signing off the report is the same person undertaking the job.

  • Insist to have the property physically inspected, having the property physically inspected improves finding the items for deductions that are wholly unique to the property and not known otherwise. 

  • Check that they are registered with the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), a legal requirement. As a bonus, also a member of either The Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS) or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Both associations improve the standards expected.